Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rebuilding in Progress

I am excited to report that this summer Yours Truly will be sporting her very own booth every Wednesday at the Farmer's Market at the Grange in Brookings. I so admired the women and men who sold their goods last year - rain or shine - that I only dreamt of becoming one of them. Yesterday, I spoke to the wonderful Kathleen, who was so welcoming to me. Her openness and sincere nature was incredibly refreshing, and appreciated since I was a nervous reck asking if I could join them. When she said sure I almost hugged her, but refrained, I didn't want to scare her.  I love hugs. 

So, last night T and I hit Freddy's and bought my rig, which was a lot more expensive than I thought it was going to be. A month at the market and I'm sure it'll pay itself off. My bags are almost 100% complete and ready to sell. Don't worry, I'll be ready by the 22nd, even if I have to stay up until 3am every morning working on them. Actually, that won't be necessary, a few of them only need their cute signature bow, and my sweet husband found the most adorable tags to go inside of each gem at Wright's Creative Arts store in Crescent City. Thank you honey!

It was pouring last night, so we set-up the entire 10'x10' rig inside of the garage that way I could plan exactly how my booth is going to look. Then this morning I cut out my G.F.M.G letters, which I will attach onto my quick shade canopy. Not sure if I should sew them on or glue stick them. What am I saying? Of course I should sew them on, especially since this lovely town has a propensity for wind and rain. And like Kathleen said, "Unless a 20' tsunami hits, we'll be here!" Love it.

Along with handmade wool bags, I'm going to offer Micky's Kale Doggie Biscuits. I figure I'll bake 10 dozen and see if people buy them; if not Mick will be like a pig in poop. Also, Kathleen said baked goods for human consumption sell well and bring people to the market. How'd she know I could bake? (Maybe it was the chocolate in the corners of my mouth from the dark chocolate covered blueberries I was eating before I approached her.) I think I'll whip up two of Sydney's sherry bundt cakes and sell them by the slice. I procured Sydney's recipe when we worked together at Abbott's Pharmacy. She was a great lady; reminded me a little of Colleen Duhurst. They both had the same sexy, confident, been there done that swagger.



Tony's so jealous. He's been asking me to make Sydney's sherry cake for years, but I only make it on special occasions -it's sinfully fattening and delicious - "A girl's gotta to draw the line somewhere!" I'm not rushing to look like my adorable, albeit plump grandma Valerio. Perhaps it's inevitable. My mother said one day that I had her hunch. Hmmm. Oh well, at least I also have her love for all things French, and I keep a drawer of dried bread just like her, which I never knew she did until my mum told me. Now that was a neat discovery. We both enjoyed feeding the ducks on Lake Merritt, and having fresh bread crumbs on hand is always nice when making turkey loaf or stuffing a small chicken.

Truthfully, I'm grateful for this opportunity to sell my wares at the Farmer's Market every week. I cannot tell you how much I need it. My boy's leaving left a mighty big hole in my heart that I can only seem to fill with busy work, which is fine for now.

Who knows, this could be the start of something big. I'm ready and willing for something big. I'll keep you posted on the adventures that will most definitely ensue this new venture.  

1 comment:

  1. I'M SO EXCITED!!
    And yet slightly depressed..... I want to be there seeing you take the market by storm and single handedly (or double handedly, thanks to your wonderful Mr.) become the most popular booth there- EVER!
    Oh my, that's great, my friend! I think you'll be a big hit :-)

    ReplyDelete