Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sleeping With Electronics


Just...one...more...search...
photo courtesy of foxnomad.com

I’m going to admit something that I’m not very proud of. For the past three nights I’ve been sleeping with my laptop, and my cellular phone.  Both items have been accompanying me to bed every night while I’m away from home and my sweet husband. I guess you can say these two electronic devices are similar to those very special friends that you don’t see very often, but when you do, you easily pick-up where you left off. Usually when I’m home my laptop sits coldly on the kitchen table, and my cell phone is dead somewhere in a long forgotten jacket. The moment I leave home however, I treat them with the utmost respect, making sure they are properly charged and sleeping snugly on the pillow next to me. Fickle woman.
My cousin loves her iPhone
possibly more than good wine,
good conversation and our
Elvis Christmas album. Could
this happen to me?
Now, perhaps if I had an iPhone, I wouldn’t be so hot and cold, but I’m terrified of getting one. I think I’m afraid I’ll become obsessed with it and turn into one of those people who are constantly taking pictures of humorous labels at the grocery store. Gasp. Still, deep down inside I know that one day I’ll cave. I did with the DVD player. Of course, it took me years to accept this electronic device, because I was happy with VHS, still am. I see very little difference in picture quality and sound, and we watch a lot of movies. A good story is a good story, no matter how you dress it up or present it on the screen. For example, I can watch The Maltese Falcon on VHS and I’m instantly enthralled. Watch it on DVD and I’m just as caught-up by the story, not the clarity. Then again, I am due to have my eyes checked. It’s been three years.
Remember those 80's mixed tapes?
Yes, I still listen to mine.
photo courtesy of broken20.com
Frankly, I’m grateful to be with a man who doesn't take stock in such things as DVD's and gigantic TV's. Still, I’ll never forget my husband's face when he opened his Christmas present in 2001 – a new Sony DVD/VHS player and a Sony 19” screen TV - he was ecstatic. Little did I realize the consequences of my actions, as ever so slowly we started replacing our perfectly good VHS tapes with DVD's. Next thing we’ll be expected to replace our DVD's with BluRay, then BluRay will be replaced by something else. It’s a vicious cycle that doesn’t give, but takes: your time, your money and the environment by storm.

A mountain of VHS tapes.
photo courtesy of treehugger.com
Landfill - which once swallowed up vinyl records, then 8-track tapes, then cassette tapes - is sighing, as it swallows up VHS players, VHS tapes and CD's. And what about Don Johnson’s cell phone and the millions like it? Or Samsung phones. Landfill. Wow, I’m ranting now. What’s my point? Oh yeah, that one day I’ll cave in and get an iPhone, and truthfully? I can’t wait! Gasp.

No comments:

Post a Comment