Thursday, July 14, 2011

Happy the Man

Highway 101 runs straight through my little town of Brookings, Oregon. All in a stretch of about five miles the speed limit goes from 55mph to 35mph, then as you hit downtown it's 25mph. After passing Sacks Thrift Avenue, Mo Joe's, Modele Salon, Sweet Pea Tea Room and Vista Pub, the speed limit quickly jumps up to 35 then 55 all over again.

If you just so happen to be driving on this stretch of highway at around 3:30 you'll see him: A tiny piece of walking joy. He's a small bearded man who faintly resembles Popeye dressed for a walkabout, complete with pith hat. When you spot him you'll see him wave to a car and think, "Oh that's nice, he must know those people." Then all of a sudden, he'll turn his full attention to you and give the most sincere smile and wave. Better still, he waits for your response. If you're like me, not used to such public displays of friendliness, you'll politely nod and sort of smile his way. To that he touches the tip of his hat and bows, very debonair-like.

Ira Tozer, picture courtesy of Curry Coastal Pilot
The next time I saw The Waving Man, I was driving with my husband in his truck. I had no idea Tony had seen him before and watched in amazement as he rolled down his window and yelled, "Alright Buddy!!!" While boisterously waving and smiling. Feeling a little ashamed of my first response, I joined in. To this Mr. Happy stopped walking, bent his knees, pointed our way and shouted, "Alright!!! Thank you!!!" "Do you know him?!" I asked Tony. Of course not, but they acted like they knew each other, and in a way they do. They're two human beings acknowledging each other in a revolutionary act of brotherly love via waving. It's very beautiful in it's simplicity.

Knights used to wave to one another. The raising of their hand meant, "I am not armed, I come in peace." In the same spirit, Mr. Spread-Joy is boldly walking down HWY 101 facing traffic, waving like a modern day knight saying, "I come in peace and I want you to know, you do matter!" It touches my heart to have such a great person living in my town. He has been spreading the love for six years now:

http://www.currypilot.com/20050205103710/News/Local-News/THE-WAVING-WALKING-MAN

2 comments:

  1. Love it... what an excellent story, Girl Friday! Where I come from, people always, always wave at each other, but out here in the East it's different. If you wave, they just stare at you like they're never seen a hand with five fingers before! Too funny. My brothers are always "testing" the local populous by waving at random people who drive by and take a count as to how many wave back. I think people have just started to wave out of pity..... or maybe they're finally catching on??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish more people had the spirit of this man, and Tony! I love this story!

    ReplyDelete